Saturday, August 29, 2015

Should I Become a SEMO Greek?

If history is any guide, about 1,000 Southeast students over the next few weeks will ask themselves, “Should I go Greek?” The truthful answer for each person is different; however, for some I argue the answer is, “NO YOU SHOULD NOT GO GREEK.”  In my opinion, and I will speak only for me, Greek Life provides a transformational leadership opportunity that impacts your college experience and if you let it, the rest of your life. Each summer I try and attend the annual float trip for my fraternity where Southeast alumni, some from across the nation, gather in Steelville, Missouri to spend the weekend catching up with one another and sharing stories. Social media is a poor substitute for a camp fire on a Saturday night where you share the latest about family, friends, and in some cases the fraternity brother's we’ve lost over the past year.   

As with any major commitment in one’s life, you should not jump into Greek Life without thinking. I believe being part of a fraternity or sorority is harder than not being part of one. There are time, effort, relationship, and financial commitment that come with being part of a sorority or fraternity. This in NO WAY means being in a fraternity or sorority makes you better, special, or a more talented person that someone not in a Greek organization. What it does do is provide you a forum where you can make yourself better, make your peers better, and make your University and community better.  It also means you aspire to be held to a higher standard and if that weight it too much for you, the answer is, “No” you should not go Greek.

In my experience I believe many students aspire to be part of something and Greek Life may be this for some you. For others it may be an athletic team, ROTC, the arts, Student Government, etc, however, I still believe most students should consider at least participating in rush/recruitment. This does not mean you join, in fact it does not mean you even have to do much, but at least give yourself a chance to consider the possibility. If you find the values of Greek Life appealing to you, then the answer is, “YES YOU SHOULD GO GREEK.”

Proud SEMO Greek Alumnus

No comments:

Post a Comment